I started by painting a spiritual experience, which I called a Baptism. My goal was to translate those moments of inward ecstasy, outwardly with paint. A successful translation would be both honest to my experience, visually and emotionally, and simultaneously accessible and understandable to another viewer.
I do believe that ‘translating’ was where I needed to start. But as I move forward in my efforts to achieve those goals, it became increasingly clear to me that spiritually I was striving for the wrong ends. I started to hear Divine messages, which said things like: do NOT chase the OOO! and AAH! of the Divine, BUT upon seeing such splendors trace them back to their Source and reside there, and Memories of profound immediacy with the Lord serves us only so far as they call us back to NEW INTIMACY. Then I read the words of Quaker authors like Thomas Kelly, 'Continually renewed immediacy not receding memories of Divine Touch lies at the base of religious life'. The path is clear: painting can be a witness, even as it records my inward experiences, however the moment which I most call myself and others back to is not the awesome experience of green men and swords, but the moment just before that, which made such Divine Intimacy possible. For the second half of this semester I am going to do three more fully resolved paintings, which will call people into a place of Holy Surrender and a written reflection. Theological sidetrack/ clarification (hopefully): think of this as Universalist evangelism. God doesn’t care what kind of tool you want to use to dig into the soil of spirituality, at the end of the day God just wants us to all be unrecognizably dirty from digging. I believe that all God wants is for us to come into that relationship which existed before the fall of Adam, where God and people walked hand and hand in the garden, and that God yearns for that relationship so much that he is willing to come to us in what ever form we need to call us into that covenant. If denying the existence of God brings a person into their deepest and most profound relationship with God, then I’m sure God is all about atheism.
I believe that my work thus far shows a clear tilt in this direction already, and that my writing has already said something to this effect. Accordingly, my hope is that I have now more succinctly and clearly stated these intentions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment